Pages

Saturday, September 08, 2007

PSORG Heads Up Competition

We had a blast today, playing the PSORG Heads Up event. Out of the 10 or 12 active folks in mIRC chat, 8 had the time to devote to it, so we had 3 rounds of single elimination matches before crowning a champ. During the event, I had a moment to self reflect, and a few thoughts popped into my head.

First, I lack a killer instinct when playing with friends. It gets worse. Not only do I lack a killer instict, I'd almost rather them win. I was paired up with Drogo71 for round 1, and even though we'd agreed to do best 2 out of 3, when he won the first one I told him congrats, no need for a 2nd (he went on to win the whole event). Finally, I found that when involved in social poker events, I actually have more fun watching the games from the rail and taking part in the friendly banter that goes on. Good thing these are low buy in. I suspect I'm a total fish in "social events".

I've known about this weakness for some time, and it's one of the main reasons I don't engage in chat much, unless someone speaks to me first at the standard ring game table. Once I "make friends", I find it harder to play aggressively towards that player. I should make a distinction between "respect" and "friends". There are players like CChristyCC and ElToasto at Absolute who I respect and we do chat a bit, but I still play aggressively when we're in a hand together. It's totally different with members of our forum though, especially when playing Hold'em, which is not exactly a game I stay sharp on anyway.

Having players cuss at me is much better for my bankroll. Thankfully this happens pretty frequently, especially heads up!

Enough publishing my weaknesses. Time to get back to taking the hater's chips.

No comments: